Sunday, November 24, 2013

Review: Not Alone by Amber Nation


Synopsis:

Emmalynne Morgan thought that getting married to her High School sweetheart and starting a family was all she wanted in life. Everything was perfect until circumstances change and devastating blows occur.

Fast forward five years, Emmalynne thinks she is broken, not only emotionally but physically as well, so her confidence was severely lacking. Being a single mother to her son, Tucker, as well as an owner of a small town Bookstore, she does everything she can to keep men at arms-length, not thinking she is worthy anymore with her plus-sized body and scars.

Taking it upon themselves, Emmalynne's best friends, Toby and Tessa make it their mission to bring her out of her tight-knitted comfort zone. That is when she locks eyes on the male perfection that is Grady.

Grady Finnegan was the gorgeous new guy in town. Recently injured and discharged from the Army, Grady comes to his Uncle’s aid in helping manage the family bar. Not being anywhere near innocent when it comes to women, Grady meets Emmalynne and he knows one thing, that he wants her.

Sparks fly and passion ignites, but will that be enough? Not ready to lay her heart on the line, Emmalynne guards it as best she can and ultimately fails. When chaos erupts and Grady's past comes back to haunt him, it leaves Emmalynne's already broken heart, shattered.

Will past circumstances prevent Emmalynne from having the future she deserves? Or can Grady help her follow her heart and show her that she is Not Alone.




Nicky's Review

3 Stars
Characters- They were very sweet and likable.
Plot/Storyline- The story was pretty good but one the biggest source of drama was very random and somewhat unbelievable.
Steam Factor- There is some steam but don't go into the book expecting detailed and gritty sex scenes. The sex is very sweet :)
Cover- Its a pretty cover but I believe the couple on the cover are supposed to be Grady & Emmalynne but Grady is 32 and this model looks way younger than that.
Cliffhanger- No. This is a standalone novel with a HEA :)
Overall-I enjoyed this book and it's story but some parts fell flat for me and left me feeling ok about the read. I didn't get that adrenaline rush I look forward to after reading a knock your socks off book but if your looking for a cute story with a HEA then this may be your book :)

Ok... Let me start off with what I did like about the book.  Emmalynne was a very relatable character of 5'4", size 12, red curly hair, and glasses.  It was a breath of fresh air to read about a heroine who isn't perfect.  She also has a heart of gold and would give anyone the coat off of her back.  Then there is Tessa, one of Emmalynne's best friends who IS your perfect blond haired bombshell but her personality, attitude, and loyalty to Emmalynne makes you love her and not even be slightly jealous of her. The other half of Emmalynne's best friend circle is Toby.  He is hilarious!! He's the gay guy you always wished you had as a friend.  He's honest, funny, and super loyal to Emmalynne too. Tessa and Toby are great supporting characters to Emmalynne's character. Grady is the new guy in town. He is sexy as hell, an ex Special Ops Officer, and is tired of playing games (his ex is a piece of work). He's looking for a beautiful sweet girl to love and he finds that in Emmalynne. He also falls in love with Tucker :)

Emmalynne is very self conscious and has low self esteem due to her verbally abusive ex husband (he died).  She is left to take care of her son Tucker but I believe she was sort of relieved with how life dealt her cards. Her ex, Bryce was very verbally abusive and degrading so she was left with a bad outlook on herself and a strong commitment to making life great for her son.  

Emmalynne's blindness to her actual beauty keeps her from realizing that the new guy in town, Grady, is actually interested in her. This is kind of where I lose steam.  Emmalynne is constantly thinking that she is not pretty and whatnot but she has THREE yes THREE men vying for her attention.  I get that when you have been put down so many times that you become blind of these advances but come on!! One guy actually becomes OBSESSED with her, which leads me to my other gripe with this story.

This overly possessive and obsessed guy comes out of nowhere.  He is part of the band for like a split second and suddenly he lays claim to her, becomes violent to her and others around her, and is super psycho.  There's no rhyme or reason to his obsession. It's just too random and convenient for the story. I think it would have sat better with me had there been a slight back story even a short story like they went to school together and he was obsessed with her from afar and took his chance when he finally entered her circle. It was just so random but his harassment is throughout the book and is the main source of drama in the book so it made it hard for me to dismiss.  

All in all it was a cute book but it fell flat for me and could have been better had there been less holes in the plot and more rhyme and reason to situations. I would recommend this book to someone looking for a sweet read with lovable characters as long as they can look over the plot holes. 


"I loved purses. I especially loved big purses. I seemed to have everything but the kitchen-sink in my purse. Although, with how huge my purse was, it could easily be arranged. You never knew when you may need something and I have a ninety percent change of having that item in my purse. That being said, it usually took me ten minutes plus to find anything in the darn thing."

"I was supremely agitated and I didn't even think baking would soothe my nerves. Nope, baking could wait until morning. This called for drastic measures. I needed my Kindle and a new book boyfriend. PRONTO! Now I just had to dig through my purse to find it. UGH!"

"'Grady, you've never told me what your tattoo meant.' 'Well, the hands are obviously God's hands and the dog tags were all men on my team or unit which I lost at one time or another. This tattoo is to remind me every day that I'm alive. I could have let the depression take over after getting my injury, but these dog tags and the men inscribed on each one are a constant reminder to overcome my battles, and relish the fact that I'm alive. I am not a hero, but I see it as my duty to live, for them.'"
Purchase this book:
CAST








Brittany's Review

3 Stars


Characters- They were very cute and relatable. The supporting characters were funny and witty.
Plot/Storyline- The story flowed with romance, heartache and some suspense. A few parts were a little confusing though because they came out of nowhere.
Steam Factor- Moderate steam….Grady knows how to please his woman.
Cover- Its cute and innocent but the characters in the story don't at all match up with the characters on the cover.
Cliffhanger- No! HEA =)
Overall-I did enjoy this sweet, cute romance between Emmalynne and Grady. The author writes beautifully BUT certain parts just fell a little flat for me.

Not Alone is a cute and sweet romance between two broken people, Emmalynne and Grady. Emmalynne is a widowed single mother who had suffered mental abuse from her former husband, Bryce, for several years. They were in a tragic car accident where Bryce was killed. Several years have gone by and Emmalynne already has a steel heart up because of the abuse and has little to no self confidence. I just want to thank Amber Nation for writing such a REAL and relatable character as Emmalynne. She is beautiful! Red curly hair, brown eyes, a size 12 and curvy with glasses! Can't get more real than that.

Emmalynne is extremely dedicated to her son Tucker and doesn't even believe she has anytime whatsoever for a man. She owns her own bookstore, is a fabulous baker and sings occasionally in her friends band. Toby and Tessa are her best friends and are both great supporting characters. They love and adore Emmalynne and want to see her happy. Toby also happens to be her brother in law from when she was married to her mentally abusive husband.

Grady is ex military and has come to their little town in Georgia to start fresh. He is planning on taking over his Uncle Mac's bar and just trying to find happiness. He has been through a lot emotionally as well with the military and a crazy-ex. Emmalynne and Grady meet by chance at the bar and sparks fly. I felt like this was a little on the insta-love side so that bothered me some but I tried to put it in the back of my mind. This first night at the bar we also meet a creepy, stalker guy named Corbin for about 10 minutes as he is auditioning for a part in their band. The story continues and then he all of a sudden is threatening and physically harming Emmalynne. This is the part that was slightly confusing because it didn't make sense in the story. It's almost as if the author wanted to create drama and therefore added this part in. I understand where she was going with this and I can appreciate it because their is nothing wrong with a little suspense and action. I just wish that the author would of given us a little more back story or a valid reason for him to act out this way against Emmalynne.


Grady and Emmalynne connect throughout the book and their are some really funny parts in the story. I thought that the writing was beautiful and I think that Amber has so much potential for her next novel. I appreciate her writing this story, but it just fell flat for me. Grady was a little cheesy at times and Emmalynne's zero self confidence was slightly annoying at times. Overall, the message of overcoming hard times and finding love in it's truest form does stand out. Grady and Emmalynne are two people who most definitely deserved a happy ending =)

Favorite Quotes:

"A little rowdy? Girl, a little rowdy is what you get when McDonald's gives you and incomplete order. You on the other hand get full on rambunctious!"

"You look beautiful tonight, Emmalynne. I meant to tell you when you opened the door, but kissing you was my only priority at the time."
SWOON!
Who was this man and why hadn't someone snatched him up?

"Those scars on your leg mean something. It means you're alive, you should embrace that, not be ashamed or embarrassed of it."

Cast











No comments:

Post a Comment