Tuesday, April 1, 2014

Review: Saving Amy by Nicola Haken


Synopsis:
Eighteen year old Amy’s surname may be Hope, but her life contains anything but. She drinks, she sleeps around, she cuts… anything to help her escape the agonising existence growing up between her mother’s drunken wails and her father’s fists. But nothing works. There is no escape. And Amy wants out…

Enter Richard Lewis – the doctor responsible for saving Amy’s life after her drink and drug-fuelled suicide attempt. Thanks to his own hidden demons, Richard is drawn to Amy and her situation, and despite the incessant warnings from both his own mind and his jealous ex-lover Joanna, he feels compelled to help her.

But how will Amy feel when she discovers Richard’s attachment to her is born out of his own guilt? He was her last resort – her last chance at being saved. Can anybody save Amy, or has she finally reached the end of a very long, torturous road?

(Not suitable for under 18's due to language, scenes of self-harm and sexual content)







Nicky's Review

4 Stars

Characters- I LOVED Richard. Amy was likable but very self destructive and reckless. It took a bit for her to grow on me.
Plot/Storyline- The story was really good but is filled from beginning to end with Amy on self destruct mode. You just don't know when the shoe will drop... The Epilogue is beautiful and tops the story off perfectly :)

Steam Factor- Richard is so freaking hot and sweet. They are perfect together.
Cover- Love it. So pretty and clean. Love B&W photos.
Cliffhanger- Nope. This is a Standalone with a great Epilogue to finish it off :)
Overall- I REALLY enjoyed this book. It was very angsty and took me on an emotional roller coaster ride.  Richard was the main source of comfort and healing, but I loved how Amy was able to save Richard in return :)


This is the story of how one girl is beaten down over and over and over again, but is able to survive... just barely.  

Amy comes from a very abusive family. Her father beats her on a regular basis and verbally abuses her too; while her sorry excuse for a mother stands by and drinks herself into oblivion.  Amy, of course, comes away from this life with some very deep internal scars mentally and emotionally.  She copes through any means of escaping reality for a short while: sex, drugs, alcohol, cutting... Until one night she passes out in the street and wakes up in an unfamiliar bed. Oh no, what happened last night?

Well, here enters Richard. The most amazing guy you will ever meet. I love him so much. I love his heart, patience, and acceptance when it comes to Amy. I also really enjoyed the fact that Richard was able to understand Amy's situation on some levels, which really made me understand why he wasn't running as far away from Amy as soon as he discovered her issues. Instead, he latches on and helps her heal. Have I mentioned how amazing Richard is? We all need a Richard in our lives.

The story is about how Amy and Richard heal each other and are there for each other but it's not a pretty story. Bad things happen, Richard and Amy's relationship is tested, but there is a HEA. I would highly recommend this book to anyone who loves a great story of survival and finding strength and love along the way. Great job Nicola Haken! I haven't read a book of yours that I haven't fallen in love with. I am looking forward to reading all of your work. XOXO

Favorite Quotes:

“I have this thing about books – a disease almost – that won’t let me give up until I've read to the end.”

“Each and every one of these should be a reminder of how strong you are. You should look at them and remember what you've been through, and feel proud that you’re still here – still fighting.”

"I was growing more attached to him every day and the longer I stayed, the higher the drop would be when I inevitably fell."

"He knew I had nothing and as far as I was concerned, he gave me everything just by breathing."

"I'd never known the meaning of happiness but if this was it I would give up my life just to hang on to it for one extra minute."

"We lay together for what could've been forever. Two guilt-ridden souls, laid bare in every sense of the word- both silently begging to be saved."

"I used to write for hours at a time. It was a sort of escapism I suppose- immersing myself in a world I could only dream of living in. It was the only way I ever got to experience a happy ending... before I met you of course."

"Books, stories... they're always something you can fall back on no matter what life is throwing at you. They offer you a place to go when you just need to escape for a little while."

"Stop it with this desire to be 'normal.' What the hell is 'normal' anyway?" he continued, using air quotes to excess. "'Normal' people as you put it couldn't even begin to imagine the things you've been through, let alone survive them.  Yet here you are, still fighting, striving. You're right, Amy... you're not normal. You are so much more."

  
  
~Purchase this Book~
Kindle Link:
 

~CAST~



No comments:

Post a Comment