Sunday, December 8, 2013

Review: The Line that Binds by J.M. Miller


Synopsis:

Stained with heartache and cursed with vengeance, a stone well lies on a nineteenth-century estate, waiting for the Stockton line to wish again.

When seventeen-year-old Lila Wayde's father loses his high-paying job in Las Vegas, the family relocates to a Pennsylvania estate bequeathed by an estranged aunt. Lila begins a new life there, one not corrupted by wealth and fake friends. She soon meets Ben, the groundskeeper's gritty grandson, and experiences the kind of happiness her life's been missing. But as she settles into the ancient house, she learns information about her ancestors and the old stone well that may make her wish she'd never come.

Ben Shadows has lost enough in life. So when Stockton Estate's owner, Janine, wills the land to her great-niece Lila, Ben fears for the fate of the property. He decides to find out Lila's intentions as the new owner, but his grandfather wants him to protect her from Stockton Estate's alleged curse. As Ben helps Lila dig through the estate's history, they grow closer than he ever intended. Now, along with concerns about the property and the reality of the curse, he struggles with feelings he can't ignore.

Will the secrets of Stockton Estate bring them together or will knowing the truth rip them apart?

**Recommended mature YA for mild language and mild sexual content**


Nicky's Review

4.5 Stars
Characters- I really liked them. LJ was a great strong female and Ben was sweet, sexy, and the perfect guy.  The supporting characters played great roles and made the story even better.
Plot/Storyline- This story had me hooked. I NEEDED to know what was going to happen with the curse and how LJ and Ben's roles played into it. The story was written really well and the mystery of the curse was so well executed and layered that I did not want to put the book down just in case another piece of the puzzle was just a page away.
Steam Factor- The sexual tension was KILLING me!! They are so HOT together and I know that this is a YA novel, but I REALLY wanted a more  in depth description of the sex scenes, but that's just me.  They would get hot and heavy and then... End of Chapter. Next Chapter. 
Cover- This cover is BEAUTIFUL!!! I absolutely love the lighting, artistry, and the representation of the blood bind in the word BINDS. Perfect!!
Cliffhanger- YES!!! I CAN NOT WAIT for the next book!!!!
Overall- I REALLY enjoyed this novel. It was a very good YA novel that I am looking forward to continuing the story in the next novel. I NEED to know if they find a way to put an end to this curse!!!

It has been a while since I've read a YA novel, mainly due to the lack of sex. Don't judge, but I do love a good sex scene. Anyway, I really enjoyed this book. The constant questions kept me hooked to my iPad and not wanting to put it down despite my eyelids begging to differ.  I just had to get one more piece of the puzzle before I went to bed, but then the sexual tension would kick in and I'd read page after page wondering WHEN are they going to act on their attraction.  This book was a total page turner and I came away from it feeling satisfied and happy with a very well written story.

Let me start with LJ (Lila Janine). She starts the book as a spoiled rich kid with bleached blonde hair and designer clothing.  She enters the story during the reading of her Great Aunt's will and finds that she will be willed most of the historical property that has been in her family for centuries once she turns 18.  The other piece of the estate is willed to Ben when he also turns 18.  After the meeting, LJ returns back to Las Vegas and back to her fake life.

Things stay the same at Stockton Estate with weddings and events being held there due to it's beauty and history.  The workers of the estate, including Ben, are very fearful as to what LJ will do with the property once she gets possession of it.  Things change once life throws a curve ball at LJ's family and they move into the old mansion on the Stockton Estate.  Everyone is leery of LJ and her family and they plan to keep her at a distance and try to find a way to preserve the estate from any damaging decisions the unknown girl to them, LJ, may make.

LJ starts a path of self discovery and growth during her transition from Las Vegas life to Stockton Estate life. She isn't what she seemed when she was at the reading of the will. It was nice seeing her sort of have a cathartic freeing experience during her stay at Stockton Estates. She was able to step outside of her old spoiled life and see it for what it was; Fake.  The supporting characters: Gavin (LJ's brother), Lloyd (Ben's grandfather), Carson (LJ's Dad), Spaz (Ben's friend) and Izzy (Ben's friend and Spaz's girlfriend) help add drama, backstory, assistance, support, guidance, humor, and wit to the story. They were all very crucial to make this story so great.

LJ's family line has a curse that goes back almost as old as the estate and she will learn of it first hand.  During the moving transition and the task of solving the mystery of the curse Ben and LJ find themselves together often and neither of them are who they thought they would be.  I am not going to go any further because I want you  to be able to read this great book for yourself and discover the secrets and mystery within.  All in all, I REALLY enjoyed this book and will DEFINITELY read the next one.  I CAN NOT WAIT to continue this story. Great job J.M. Miller!!! You have definitely made this girl a fan!! XOXO
 
Favorite Quotes:

"Nevertheless, they held the same position around the well, the focal point, which appeared same in each painting. Its blurred stones and roof fell somewhere between reality and a dream. I stared at it, waiting for a revenge-seeking little girl to crawl out from its smudgy depths."

"I replied through my wired jaw. After I'd fractured it while riding my bike six weeks ago, I was worried about talking at first but was surprised how clear my voice sounded through clamped teeth. Most people could understand me, if I chose to speak. The whole ordeal made me wonder if it was some form of karmic justice for being a smart ass. If something of a higher power wanted me to shut the hell up, I've obliged. Mostly."

"But he was kind enough to give me the shirt off his back. It was a simple gesture. One that was sweet and compassionate, with no hidden agenda silently demanding some form of reciprocity. It was a gesture I'd never experienced before. Most of the gifts I'd received were purchased, and still they held no value at all."

 
Purchase this book:
Nook  http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/the-line-that-binds-jm-miller/1117497030?ean=2940148929611


CAST:






Brittany's Review

4.5 Stars
Characters- I absolutely loved the characters! They fit into the story perfectly.
Plot/Storyline- I loved the mystery and suspense surrounding this book. There is some romance but since it's a YA you have to use your imagination some :)
Steam Factor- sexual tension = YES! Lol but it is a YA novel ;)
Cover- The cover really sets the tone for the book. It's simple yet shows that this book has some mystery involved.
Cliffhanger- YES! Can't wait to read book 2.
Overall- I loved this book! I was literally sucked in from the first page wanting to know more about this family curse and what was going to happen to LJ and Ben!





Favorite Quotes:



 
Purchase this book:
 

No comments:

Post a Comment