Wednesday, December 11, 2013

Review: Precious Consequences by Tamsyn Bester

Synopsis
All it took was one night to change the rest of my life.
One night that created irrevocable consequences.
But some consequences aren’t all bad.
They can be amazing…beautiful… Precious.
I willingly accepted those consequences and wrote a new plan for my life. But that plan didn’t include Cameron Argent – the sexy-as-sin tattooed playboy who got under my skin the moment I laid eyes on him. I was headed down a dark and dangerous road where he was concerned and in the end, our relationship was inevitable. Despite our dark secrets, our feelings for each other burned brighter than a thousand stars and left us both naked, vulnerable.
But when my past came rolling back into my life like a Summer storm, I wasn’t sure if his love for me was enough. Was he prepared to deal with the consequences of a past I couldn’t regret or would he walk away with my beating heart in his hands?
(This is a New Adult Contemporary Romance novel & contains language &adult situations. Not recommended for readers younger than 17)
 
 





Nicky's Review

3 Stars
Characters- I really liked the main characters Hayley and Cameron. She was very sweet and I really respected her for the choices she made after the BIG change in her life. Cameron was super sexy and very sweet as the book went on.
Plot/Storyline- Story was good but there were a few moments that were sort of skimmed past and rushed through when they should have been earth shattering or at least more extensive.
Steam Factor- Cameron is super sexy in and out of bed! Love his swimmers physique and sexy tattoos :)
Cover- Cover honestly has me a little perplexed. The main character, Hayley, is supposed to have dark curly hair and bright green eyes... Who is this girl on the cover?
Cliffhanger- Nope. This is a standalone with a HEA :)
Overall- It was a very sweet book and I enjoyed it most of the time and could truly relate to Hayley when it came to her feelings towards Arianna, but life changing events that occur are sort of rushed through and resolved too quickly for my liking. I'll explain...

Let me start with the positives. Hayley is an amazing girl who had a great head on her shoulders for a 17 year old. I truly respect her decisions and the way she handles her situation. Her inner dialogue when it comes to Arianna is like the voice of many women in the world and is truly relatable.  I felt that I could have written some of the things she has said about Arianna. The story starts when she is 19 years old.

And then there's Cameron, the stereotypical tattooed, sexy as sin douche who sleeps around and throws girls out right after without a second look back.  He is very drool worthy, but this is where the story sort of falls into predictable territory. He's a douche one minute and then he turns around, sees Hayley for all of 5 seconds and then decides that she's the most beautiful thing that has ever graced his eyes. Her car is broken down and he approaches her, looks at her car, and then offers her a ride... Which she TAKES!!! Seriously?! A girl in her situation should hold her life at a higher priority than to take a ride from a stranger, but he's pretty so its ok... Right.... Anyway...

Hayley has a past history of being a slut in school and something is leaked that ruins her reputation in her Senior year of High School. This causes her parents to shun her and she goes to live with her grandmother.  I never really understood the severity of her errors that would cause her parents to throw her out and its sort of skimmed over and we're just supposed to accept it without really any thorough explanation.  That sort of rubbed me wrong but I let it slide to just get into the story.

Cameron and Hayley resist more than friendship but then attraction is there just pulling them together. Things heat up and then a secret is discovered that has Cameron running from Hayley.  They try again and then things happen with Cameron's family and he pushes her away AGAIN! Then they try again and guess what, after he lets her go so many times, she TAKES HIM BACK and SHE says SHE's SORRY. I was completely confused over what SHE should be sorry about.  HE treats her like crap, pushes her away, and then grovels which results in her apologizing. I didn't understand that at all. I felt he should have been the one apologizing.

Then there's the diner scene with Kyle, Kimber, Rachel, Noah, and Hannah.  This is where the Two BIG BOMBS are dropped, but then it just putters out. I was like, "Wha...What?! All of the secrets and answers have been exposed and the only consequences are a few choice words, one low life douche bag walking away a free man with no worries, and a punch in the face. That's it?" 

Despite these issues, I did enjoy reading about Hayley's journey, her growth from 17 years old into her 19th year, the challenges she faced head on and very well if I do say so myself, her relationship with Arianna, and her heart of gold.  I also enjoyed Cameron's sexy self, his ability to overcome his demons through Hayley, and his growth from douche to honorable man.  The supporting characters provided the story with humor, the middle men when Hayley and Cameron are on the outs, and just great support for the main characters. 

This is a very sweet story and you will come away with some great moments but you will also have to deal with some plot holes that will having you saying, "This could have been a GREAT book had some of the points of the story been expanded upon, explained, and given the weight of importance that they deserved." I understand that this is a story about Hayley and Cameron healing from their past through their present relationship with each other, but all of the history and events that brought them to where they are are just as important and it just would have made this story amazing had those events been given their much needed time.

I will read another book by Tamsyn Bester because I did enjoy the story despite some plot holes. She is a really good writer and will pull you into the story and characters. Thank you for your time and commitment to this story Tamsyn Bester. I know writing a book is not easy and I have yet to take on that challenge and you have done a great job creating a wonderful story with just a little polishing needed. XOXO

Favorite Quotes:

"I couldn't pretend that my life hadn't changed. But I also couldn't bring myself to regret the irrevocable consequences that forever changed me. I learned the true meaning of selflessness and what it meant to love someone so much you'd give up everything for them. I finally understood what it meant to sacrifice your own heart, just to allow another to beat."

"If I didn't know any better I'd think she was a normal old lady, but underneath that façade is a whole lot of batshit crazy."

"'Hey little man. You enjoy your breakfast?' I smile at him and he nods, burrowing his head into my neck. I've become used to his little displays of affection and I'll come to miss them when he leaves. Something about the way he hugs, or even touches, is so innocent and sincere. It's a reminder of what we are, before life happens and takes it from us."

"'And now that I know we'll be best friends, I'm going to buy you a Latte and tell you all my inappropriate secrets, and what turns me on.'"

"'Holy Chees on a cracker,' Taylor sighs. 'That man is fifty shades of sexy!' 'I know right!' Hanna chips in. 'Did you see the buns of steel on his derriere?'"

"Does he expect me to read his mind? Because that's worse than trying to get a dog to meow."

"'Are you fucking kidding me? I hear about yours almost every night. It's a good thing mom and dad aren't at home that often, otherwise they'd think you've turned our house into a brothel. And for the love of my ear drums, stop screwing girls who scream like banshees or at least stuff a sock in their mouths. I can't handle the sound of cats being strangled any longer."

"By the time I get home, my hands, face and feet are numb but it doesn't matter much. Because the one part of my body that I need to be numb, even if just for a little while, still pumps furiously behind my rib cage. I didn't realize that it was possible for a heart to keep beating while in pieces."
 
Purchase this book:
CAST


Brittany's Review

Stars
Characters- 
Plot/Storyline-
Steam Factor-
Cover-
Cliffhanger-
Overall-

 

Favorite Quotes:
Purchase this book:
Kindle 
Nook 
CAST

No comments:

Post a Comment