Saturday, September 14, 2013

Review of Who He Is

Review: Who He Is by Shanora Williams





Eliza Smith has never been the one to seek a relationship. She’s never dated a guy in her life, never even hugged a man (outside of her father/manager of the hot and popular rock band, FireNine) but when she decides to spend her summer on tour with FireNine, it all changes. Eliza really gets to meet Gage Grendel - her former crush from high school and the lead singer of FireNine - and witness sides to him to which she’ll begin to truly despise.
She’ll ignore him, she’ll dislike his ways, she’ll do anything to try and stay away from him until Gage finally gets her to slip up and give in. She agrees on a casual fling with Gage, but soon they’ll both see how the fling will blur into something they can’t control and when it’s finally time for Eliza to go and accomplish her own dreams, she’ll know there’s more she took from Gage than she ever thought possible.












Nicky's Review

3 Star Review

Characters- Characters were good, but I felt that Montana was written better than Gage.
Plot/Storyline- Great idea for a story and well written. Kept me turning pages and wanting the second book.
Steam Factor- Hot
Cover- Very awesome and Rock and Roll. Perfect for this story.
Cliffhanger- Yes, but the next book will be out on September 24, 2013.
Overall- I really liked this book, but can't say I loved it. I will definitely read the next one :)





Hmmm... I liked this book, but I can't say I LOVED this book.  Don't get me wrong, it was good and I will read the second book to see where Eliza & Gage's story goes, but there was something lacking in the story for me.
I'm going to just tell you right now what I did like before I tell you what I didn't.  I did like that Eliza was real. She didn't lead Gage on or tell lies.  She tries to keep a good head on her shoulders when getting involved with a promiscuous rock star, but in all honesty, she had no chance when the heart gets involved and the writer did a good job with that transition of Eliza putting up a wall and breaking it down.  She was a strong character.  When it came to Gage, I loved how sexy he was and how he pursued Eliza and was flat out honest with her that he wanted to get with her.  His dedication to Eliza was admirable and I loved that he would tell her that their time was a priority than his time with the band since she would be leaving after two months.  I fell a little in love with him then.  Any guy who can make the most of limited time with his girl has my vote.  I also loved that after Gage and Eliza agree to be more than friends Eliza wouldn't just sit by and get walked over.  If something Gage did bothered her, she let him know it.  She was definitely not a doormat, which made me love her more.

Anyway, We start with Eliza going on tour with her gay dad who manages the band Fire Nine.  This is a big deal to Eliza since she is a bit of an introvert.  She is very shut off from relationships due to a tainted childhood with her mom who let her boyfriend abuse Eliza physically, not sexually.

Now to what I didn't like...

Eliza meets the band and has an attraction to the lead singer, Gage.  She has apparently liked him since high school and this is just torture to her to be in the same proximity as him due to her fear of relationships and knowing his whoring ways.  There is chemistry between them but they are very juvenile with each other by using other people to make each other jealous and what not.

 Speaking of using people, Eliza uses Montana to make Gage jealous, but I tell you what, Montana won me over. I ended up liking him SO much more than Gage.  Montana's character was written with more personality and was just damn sexy.  He has a great sense of humor, is honest, and sweet.  Whereas Gage is stand offish, moody, and frustrating.  There are times where Gage gets really tense and pretty much has to give himself a pep talk in order to get intimate with Eliza and this just made me lose the connection with their relationship too.  I understand that he has trouble letting people in but this is too much and he never explained what he was thinking during these episodes. I would feel offended and a little insecure if I were Eliza and saw my man going at war with himself in the mirror before settling on finally coming to be with me.

Another gripe was that Gage insisted that he had to keep Penelope close because she knew too much and it could ruin his career. Um.... what she knew was not that BIG of a deal.  I feel as though the author could have come up with a better secret that Penelope had to hold over him. I mean, a sex tape with something horrid going on would be something to want to keep secret in order to not ruin the band, but Penelope's knowledge was so minor it bordered on ridiculous to me. Sorry. 

The last gripe is that when Eliza and Gage finally do open up to each other, it's just kind of verbally vomited and it's done.  I didn't feel the intensity or the compassion between them.  Sure he offered to kick the step dad's ass, but maybe a sex scene where he worships her body and eludes to taking the pain away that her step father caused or her worshipping his body and kissing the life saving scar to just add that extra feeling to the situation (this scene suggestion may not be perfect, but hey, I'm not a writer and I do appreciate the art and craft behind it. I'm just being honest with this review).  Instead, they spill their guts, hug, kiss, or fall asleep in  each others arms.  I mean, after Eliza opens up, Gage says, "Wow... that was... a lot to take in. I'm sorry that happened to you.  If you want, we can find him and I can beat his ass for you." And that's it, they go on to talking about other issues.  I don't know, maybe I'm picky but there was just something missing.  But like I said, it was a good book with lots of holes.  It could have been much better but I repeat, I will definitely read the second book :)

Did I mention Montana!! LOL!! Now he is amazing!!

Crud!! One more thing, which I hope will be cleared up or expanded upon: WHAT THE HELL IS UP WITH ROY?!! I'm I the only one who is curious about this handsome, moody, silent guy?? Please let there be answers in the next book!!

Favorite Quotes 

"'I think about you day and night, Eliza. I wake up and wish every morning you were lying in my bed beside me. Every time I'm really smiling, it's because I'm with you or I'm thinking about you.'...'I've tried blocking it, ignoring it, avoiding it, and just remaining casual, but... I can't anymore.  Not with you.  I know if I try to pretend this doesn't matter-that we don't matter-Then I might end up hurting you, and the last thing I wanna do is hurt you. I could never hurt you because hurting you is...hurting me.'"

"Plus, finding a new book boyfriend to love was always better than finding a guy in real life to fit my expectations.  It was a mental thing only a few could understand."

"Don't tell me we're 'just friends' again. I'm about to show you we aren't anymore.  I don't wanna be.  I want more of you..."



You can purchase this book by clicking the following links:

Kindle  http://www.amazon.com/Who-He-FireNine-1-ebook/dp/B00E09DJYG/ref=sr_1_1_bnp_1_kin?ie=UTF8&qid=1379276627&sr=8-1&keywords=who+he+is

Nook  http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/who-he-is-shanora-williams/1116092726?ean=2940148734611


Casting



`~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


Brittany's Review


4.5 sexy stars!

Characters- Characters were really great especially for this sexy, rock star romance!
Plot/Storyline- Pretty good storyline...Loved Eliza, Gage and the band mates.
Steam Factor- WOWZA!....Mrs. Williams is not afraid to put it out on the table ;)
Cover- Cover really portrays the book and connection between Eliza and Gage. Plus, its blue and black ( Gage's favorite colors) hehehehe
Overall- Great Rock n Roll romance. Definitely recommend and will be reading book 2!



*I will say I am not surprised how much I liked this book because I loved the Hard to Resist series by Mrs. S. Q. Williams. She is just a great writer. She makes all her characters funny, sexy and definitely realistic*


*I liked how this story begins with a little back history about Eliza and her past. It sets the tone for her character and why she is the way she is. I liked how head strong Eliza is about life. She is very determined to make something of herself no matter what lengths she must go to do that. She wants to prove everyone wrong, especially her mother. Thankfully, her father Ben, has been very supportive. Ben is the manager of a band FireNine and Eliza decides to go on tour with him for the summer to prepare for College in the Fall and to pursue her passion for drawing and painting. Little does she know, this tour will change her life*

               
                  *FireNine is HOT!!! I said it....H.O.T.
The members of the band are sexy, raunchy, crude asses but you can't help but love them! I love how they rock out and connect to their fans at their concerts. Gage, the lead singer, is the main focus of this book. I love how we still learn about the other band members and a little into their dark pasts so we can be setup for future books about them.


*Gage is.....ahhhhh....Soo incredibly sexy. He has the total bad boy, rocker package that all of us girls swoon over when reading. Underneath all that bad-assness though, he has a sweet side and a huge heart. You will learn a-lot about Gage and why he is the way he is. He has been through a lot as a kid and holds a lot of hate and resentment.*

*Gage and Eliza's relationship starts immediately. Their is a definite attraction between them even though they both are in denial about it. Eliza knows she can't get involved with a rocker nonetheless and is somewhat disgusted by Gage and his antics with all his "women". But of course, they become "friends" and things get heated from there.*


*This book has also a lot of underlying stories running through it about the other band members and even the manger Ben, who happens to be Eliza's dad. Montana actually stuck with me. He was hilarious! I can't wait to hear his story. It was also nice to see Deed's transformation from the beginning to end of the book. Roy is a quiet, storm waiting to erupt. I just know he is going to have some crazy stuff going on*


*I will say I hated how Gage let Penelope get in the way of his and Eliza's relationship. Eliza uses Cal as a buffer though for when Gage gets with Penelope in front of her. It actually makes it funny because they use jealousy as a way to get each other's attention. They are so stubborn!! LOL....The sex was O-Mazing and schmexy!...Their chemistry is undeniable and Shanora Williams brings it in this book. The writing is so descriptive you can feel the hottness*


* By the end of the book, I was so connected with Gage and Eliza and I was just HOPING that they would work things out, but instead your left wanting more and needing to know what's going to happen!! The ending was actually rather emotional. Both Eliza and Gage had confessed a lot about their past and really fell in love with each other over a short period of time. They started to open up and trust each other. Then BAM! book ends....bOOOOOOO..... Good thing is book 2 comes out tomorrow =) YAY! Happy Girl Dance!! Overall, this was a great Rockstar Romance and I loved Eliza and Gage's story. I can't wait to read more! Please go read this book!*


Favorite quotes:


"There's just something about music and singing that takes me away. It takes me to depths so deep I don't even realize how far I've gone until I'm done."


"She was a single dove, a beauty,
A Miraculous love, truly,
A new addiction I'd fight for,
My addiction, perhaps my heart and more."


"Please, Don't leave me. don't make me empty again. Don't let me break."









No comments:

Post a Comment