Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Review: Hold On Tight by Nicola Haken







Synopsis:
A figure from Dexter’s past has uprooted all the memories he has tried so desperately to bury… to forget. The terrible events of his past have been blown wide open once again, immersing him a pool of guilt deeper than he’s even experienced before.

Dexter feels powerless. The future he foolishly allowed himself to conceive is falling apart around him and there’s nothing he can do about it. But there’s one thing he can control – one thing he’s an expert at… blocking everything out. Losing all control, Dexter copes the only way he knows how – he dives so far into the well of addiction, the only thing that matters anymore is where his next fix is coming from.

Mission accomplished – there’s no one left. He’s successfully pushed everyone away. Nobody left to care about means no more guilt, right? You can’t hurt people who aren’t there…

But has he really pushed Emily as far away as he thinks he has? She’s given up everything for him – her home, her friends… her whole life. And she doesn’t regret a single thing. But can she save him from drowning, or has he finally sunk too far?

(Not suitable for under 18’s due to language, sexual content and explicit drug use)















Nicky's Review

4.5 Stars

Characters-  Love the beautifully damaged characters that are Dexter and Emily.
Plot/Storyline- Wow! Such a great flow of events and executed perfectly.
Steam Factor- Oh yeah! Can I have a Dexter please?!
Cover- Love the consistency of the last cover.
Cliffhanger- YES! We get the rest of their story Summer 2014!!!
Overall- SO HAPPY with this continuation of their story.

This book picks right up where Take My Hand left off and I couldn't have been happier with that. If you've read Take My Hand, you know how dramatic the ending was and to finally get the answers and the turn of events after that event occurs provided both relief from waiting and anxiety from the results of the situation.  The ending to this book is the same. A bomb is dropped and the book ends.

I loved everything about this book even though it was a very dark and sad read due to having to look at Dexter as a shadow of himself and having to struggle along with him and Emily in order to find the light again. I love stories that allow a character to be flawed despite having all the support they need to lean on around them because that's how a lot of people who are self destructive act. They are blind to the reality surrounding them and they live inside their own twisted mind which is only filled with self loathing and the need to punish themselves. That's why we judge those around someone who takes the wrong path because we assume that they failed the individual, but in reality, the individual failed to see and reach for the lifelines all around them and within them.

The series of events that occur from the time Dexter hits his lowest to Dexter finally seeing and reaching for that light I spoke of was a ride I felt. I felt horrible for him and I just wanted to help him just like Emily and Sarah and I too felt helpless. Nicola wrote this story so well that you can see why Dexter and Emily make the choices they do throughout the book. Emily was weak when it came to Dexter but that didn't stop her from being strong for him and it didn't stop her from making very difficult decisions and I loved that. I loved how she was both fragile and solid. And Dexter. I loved his vulnerability and yet he was a sexy as sin bad ass that you couldn't not love. And oh God! Those piercings!! Hehe. Moving on :)

All in all, I would highly recommend this book to anyone who has read Take My Hand FIRST and anyone who loves a story of a broken man who is saved through the love of a devoted and strong girl. Nicola Haken did a great job of keeping me invested in the story. I had to peel myself away from the book when my eyes were like iron gates or when I actually had to eat something. I just wanted to know what was going to happen next. I can not wait for the rest of their story because I feel like I know these characters and I want them to live HEA. Please give them a HEA. BRAVO Nicola! BRAVO!! XOXO :)

Favorite Quotes:
"I didn't chose to fall in love with him, Rach. But I did and I will never regret it. Whether it's the laughs or the tears, I have never felt more alive since I met him and I will NOT give up on him!"

"'And for the record, if I wasn't your sister, I'm pretty sure you look hot in that suit.'
'Obviously. I'd look hot rolled in shit,' he shot back, already half way to the office door."

"'You're not disappearing Dex. I won't let you,' she whispered against my lips before brushing them with hers in one feathery soft movement. 'And even if you did... I would find you. I would find you and bring you back.'"

"I will always stand by you, even in your darkest hour. You hearing what I'm saying, Dex? I will follow you down whatever path you end up taking... If it's the wrong one, I will fight to the death to drag you back."

"I feel like I've finally got something to live for. Not just survive for... live for."

"Forget your past mistakes. They're done. Gone. Can't do jack shit to change them. You need to leave them exactly where they are- the past. If you spend your life trying to make up for them, it means you haven't accepted them and that will make it impossible to move on from them. As for your future?Well, that's scary shit for anyone. No one knows what's going to happen, so why exhaust yourself trying to guess? Just enjoy the ride and see where it takes you."


Purchase this book:

Kindle http://amzn.com/B00GZ6QI4A

Nook  http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/hold-on-tight-nicola-haken/1117532693?ean=2940045459891

CAST









Chris

No comments:

Post a Comment