Monday, January 6, 2014

Review: Skater Boy by Kay Manis


Synopsis:

For 25 year old attorney, Hindley Hagen, life is all about staying one step ahead of the game. Avoiding surprises and keeping people at a distance is the only way she has to protect herself from the painful scars and shattered memories of her past. When Hindley is offered a new position at her prestigious Austin law firm as sports agent for pro skateboarder, Rory Gregor, she’s ready for the new challenge but completely unprepared for the man who captures her heart. Suddenly, Hindley is thrust into a world where protecting all their secrets could cost her everything; her family, her career, and maybe even her life.
Professional skateboarder and X Games royalty, Rory Gregor knows what it’s like to be at the top. But after two years of bad decisions and one-night-stands, he’s having to make a comeback he never anticipated. Hiring a new agent may be what his team thinks he needs to rebuild his career, but what if it costs him his heart in the process? Just when he thinks he’s posed for a comeback, secrets from his past threaten to ruin his chance for gold and a new love. In a sport where trust means everything, this time... it may not be enough.

**Find out the dramatic conclusion to Rory and Hindley' story in My Skater Boy (X-Treme Boys Series, Book 2), available now.














Nicky's Review

4 Stars

Characters-  I loved them. Hindley is really likeable and real. I loved how Rory is a badass but when it comes to Hindley he becomes sweet, protective and discombobulated.
Plot/Storyline- The story was really well thought out. I like how their worlds collide and their relationship slowly progresses. The constant questions of both their pasts keeps you turning pages for sure.
Steam Factor- HOT! This book is not extremely detailed but just wait for My Skater Boy. Oh My!!!!
Cover- Cover portrays a skater boy, but I would LOVE to see a pic of sexy Rory with his side tat exposed holding a skateboard. Yumm-O!!
Cliffhanger- YES. The story literally just stops. No warning. Thank goodness the next book was out when I read this because I think I would have been screaming profanities.
Overall- I really enjoyed this book. The story flowed, the secret pasts keep you really interested, the chemistry is great, the characters are awesome and the whole story comes together nicely. Can not wait to read My Skater Boy!!! :)

Skater Boy was a great escape after a long disappointing reading spree I'd been on. I was so happy to
finally get into a book and thoroughly enjoy it. From the characters to the story, I was drawn in. I have never read a book about a skate boarder so it was already an interesting and unique read. I also really enjoyed the inner dialogue of the main characters because it just added more depth to the situation and a realistic POV because we all know we have our own inner dialogue in our lives but no one hears it.

 

Let me start with Hindley, first off: AWESOME name!! I know it's from Wutherring Heights, but its definitely a name that could make a huge come back :). Anyway, sorry for the veer in thought, back to the story. Hindley in an awesome girl with a jaded past. A past we still are blind to even after the end of the book. You get little bits of her past but nothing to add up. I can not wait for that AH HA! moment that will hopefully occur in the next book. Hindley is independent, responsible, intelligent, slightly insecure and beautiful. What's not to like?



That's the exact question Rory has. He finds nothing about Hindley unattractive. He's drawn to her as she is to him. I love their coy interactions and their full on sexy interactions. But let's start with how freaking awesome Rory is, at least in reference to Hindley, because he has been pretty much a sex whore douche with every girl that has crossed his path up until Hindley. Rory is so sweet and cocky, but also insecure when it comes to Hindley. He has a jaded past and a secret that would definitely warrant insecurities.


We, and Hindley, discover Rory's issues but we still don't know what Hindley's secrets are... And I can't wait to find out! I'm only hoping Rory doesn't let his ugly jack-assy head rear when he finds out. Yes, Rory is sweet most of the time, but he can also say rude things and just plain stick his foot in his mouth. 

All in all I would totally recommend this book to anyone looking for a contemporary romance with a strong female lead, a sexy guy with just the right balance of humor, sweetness and cockyness, a great plot that will keep you guessing about their issues, and an all around great story.  I will definitely read anotherr Kay Manis book without question. She has done a great job of laying out a story and piecing it together so flawlessly that you ever have that "yawn moment." Kudos Kay!! On to My Skater Boy. Eeeeep!!! XOXOXO


Favorite Quotes:

"'Did you ever stop to think maybe this girl needs you?' 'She doesn't need anything, Kara. She's rich, and beautiful, and smart.' 'Maybe she needs more. Maybe she needs purpose, confidence, and self-assurance, just like you. Maybe you can give that to each other.'"

"I let my head fall back on the head rest and closed my eyes, trying to will his comment out of my head but all I could hear was my stepfather saying I was a piece of shit and the only thing anyone would ever do with a piece of shit was flush it down the toilet."

"This guys is a dom, a fucking dominant. He likes to be in control. Shi, girl, you are in trouble, real trouble. I'd read about dominants and S&M and stuff, I mean Fifty Shades of Grey had pretty much put that crap out on the open market for chicks to talk about in the grocery store check-out line."

"'What the fuck did he just say to you because I thin you just had an ear-gasm?' I shook my head, trying to make sense of what just happened. 'What?' I heard Dana's voice but I couldn't comprehend what she'd said. I was too lost in Rory's trance. 'He whispered something in your ear that mad you come right here in from of God and all these spectators, no question about it!' 'Shut up!' I half shouted. 'It's true, isn't it? I be you probably need to go change your panties, don't you?'"

 
Purchase this book:

Kindle  http://www.amazon.com/Skater-X-Treme-Boys-Series-Book-ebook/dp/B00F280LTK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1387860210&sr=8-1&keywords=skater+boy+kay+manis

Nook  http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/skater-boy-kay-manis/1117650950?ean=2940148939320

 
CAST

 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment