Wednesday, February 5, 2014

Review: Lifers by Jane Harvey-Berrick


Synopsis:

After eight years in prison, twenty-four year old Jordan Kane is the man everyone loves to hate.

Forced to return to his hometown while on parole, Jordan soon learns that this small town hasn’t changed since he was carted off to juvie all those years ago. He is the local pariah, shunned by everyone, including his own parents. But their hatred of him doesn’t even come close to the loathing he feels every time he looks in the mirror.

Working odd jobs for the preacher lady, Jordan bides his time before he can leave this backwards town. But can distance erase the memories that haunt him? Trapped in the prison of his own mind Jordan wonders if the pain of living will ever subside?
Torrey Delaney is new in town and certainly doesn’t behave in a way the locals believe a preacher’s daughter should. Her reputation for casual hook-ups and meaningless sex is the talk of the town. Add that to her budding friendship with the hardened ex-con handyman, and the good Reverend is less than thrilled with her estranged daughter’s path.

As friendship forms, is it possible for two damaged people who are afraid to love take their relationship to the next level? Can Torrey live with Jordan’s demons, and can Jordan break through Torrey’s walls? With the disapproval of a small town weighing heavily on them, will they find their place in the world? Can they struggle against the odds, or will their world be viciously shattered?

Is love a life sentence?








Nicky's Review

4 Stars

Characters- I really liked the characters but there were a few things about them that were distracting to me. 
Plot/Storyline- This was a great story of a truly rejected man living in the darkness of his errors and finding the light when a spitfire of a girl enters his life showing him that he is worthy of love.
Steam Factor- Um!! Yummy yummy yummy!! Jordan is freaking HOT!! Who doesn't like a tall, ripped, tattooed bad boy sweetheart?
Cover- Love it! It is so creative and beautiful.
Cliffhanger-No Cliffhanger. This is their story with an Epilogue ending.
Overall- I really enjoyed this book and all of the events within it. It kept me turning pages wondering what was going to happen next and what shit hand Jordan was going to be dealt next. I truly felt for him and just wanted to cuddle-fuck the hell out of him.

This is the story of Jordan and Torrey. Jordan is an ex-con who is forced to spend the last few months of his probation in his home town where everyone LOATHES him. Jordan is emotionally beaten down and he reminds me of an abused dog most of the time. People say ugly things to him and threaten him repeatedly and he just walks away with his head down and his tail between his legs. It's very sad and broke my heart to see him be so broken.

Then there is Torrey.  She is a bit of a slut, which is kind of a turn off for me for the heroine and I didn't really like that about her but that's all I didn't really like.  She is a spitfire of a girl and has a smart mouth to go with it.  She is definitely the complete opposite of Jordan and that's what he needed to see the light. She opens his eyes and shows him that he is worth more than anyone could ever give him credit for. Her way of doing this isn't hearts and flowers, it's generally her cussing him out to wake the F up and live for his brother.

The growth of their relationship from friends to more was fun to watch since they were both horny as hell for each other but they had too many issues to conquer before they actually gave into each other.  The story unfolds perfectly and I love the consistency of the characters. Jordan is always a reserved sweetheart and Torrey is always a smart mouthed spitfire.  One scene that breaks my heart was the fight scene with Jordan and Ryan (Mikey's best friend). I felt what Torrey was feeling and was just so heart broken and mad at Jordan but I also understood his actions.

The only real distractions, or things I didn't like about the book, were the fact that Torrey was very promisucuous until Jordan and the fact that some of her banter with Jordan was very insensitive and sometimes made me lose the connection between her and Jordan because I felt that someone who loved a broken individual would be more gentle with their heart.  The other thing that was distracting was Jordan's accent.  It sort of dumbed him down for me. He seemed below average in the intelligence category, but he was intelligent. He had read every book in jail and it was obvious he had a good memory especially when he quotes things he's read.

All in all, I'd recommend this book to anyone looking for a romance about a broken man trying to figure out his reason for living and discovering his worth through the love and persistance of a woman who is total opposite of him.  The story flowed really well and you feel the emotions evoked through the characters. Great job Jane Harvey-Berrick. I will read more of your work in the future. Thank you for adding Jordan to my Book Boyfriends. XOXO :)


Favorite Quotes:

"Why don't we talk about what's really bothering you, instead of dancing around it like a couple of queens at an Abba convention?"

"'You call your car Princess.' She grinned up at me. 'Sure, she acts like a total bitch most of the time. I only put up with her because she's pretty. That's a princess, right?'"

"Christ, this woman rendered me mute every time I saw her. She was so fucking fearless; she'd charge hell with a bucket of iced water."

"For reasons I didn't understand, life had given me a second chance, and that was hard to deal with. I had no clue how to live anymore."

"I wanted to know him, and I wanted him to have the chance to be the person he was meant to be, not just the shadow of a man he was right now."

"I was damaged, I knew it. My broken edges cut everyone who came near me."


Purchase this book:

Kindle

Nook 


~CAST~


No comments:

Post a Comment