Sunday, February 9, 2014

Review: Until You (Fall Away 1.5) by Penelope Douglas



Synopsis

***This novel contains graphic sexual content and harsh language. It is only appropriate for adult readers age 18+.

Have you ever been so angry that hitting things felt good? Or so numb that you actually felt high? The past few years have been like that for me. Traveling between fury and indifference with no stops in between.

Some people hate me for it, while others are scared of me. But none of them can hurt me, because I don't care about anything or anyone.

Except Tatum.

I love her so much that I hate her. We used to be friends, but I found out that I couldn't trust her or anyone else.

So I hurt her. I pushed her away.

But I still need her. The sight of her centers me, and I can pool all of my anger into her. Engaging her, challenging her, bullying her...they are my food, my air, and the last part of me that feels anything human.

But she left. She went to France for a year, and came back a different girl.

Now, when I push, she pushes back.


***To be read AFTER Bully (Fall Away Series) BOOK 1.

Nicky's Review

4 Stars

Characters- Hated and LOVED Jared. Still loved Tate. She rocks!
Plot/Storyline- Oh my goodness!! This was a GREAT alternate POV! I did not feel at all like I was reading the same book over again. This was completely Jared's story and it was AMAZEBALLS!!
Steam Factor- HOLY FREAKING HOT!! Jared's POV of the sex was VERY STEAMY and SEXY!
Cover- Ummmm.... Wiping drool from lip and kindle screen. YUMMY!! Loving the tattoo too :)
Cliffhanger- NO, this is their story but there is definitely room for more, which the lovely Penelope Douglas promised in the upcoming books :) Happy Dance!!!!
Overall- I freaking LOVED this book. Penelope did a PHENOMENAL JOB at writing an alternate POV that was very different from the book it was based on but still kept the same story if that makes sense. It was perfectly executed and brilliant!! I TOTALLY RECOMMEND this book to anyone who has read BULLY!! FAN-FREAKING-TASTIC!!

Wow! This book was a perfect companion book to Bully. We finally get to read Jared's story and understand this very complex character.  I found myself pissed at Jared a lot of times because he WAS as much as an asshole as I thought he was in Bully.  But as we read his story, it all sort of makes sense in a twisted way as to why he treats/treated Tatum the way he did. 

I think the best description as to his reasons for treating Tate the way he did was the story of his teddy bear at the end of the story. It kind of gave me that AH-HA! moment I needed because, honestly, I was still like, "What the hell is wrong with him?! I understand he focused his hate on Tate but why the hell would he do that to someone who only ever showed him love?"  His reasons are explained throughout the book and I could see some parts of it making sense, not justifiable, but it made sense from his POV.  The teddy bear story pulled it all together for me and just made me love Jared more.

All in all, I really really enjoyed this book and I appreciate Penelope's extreme efforts and success with writing a perfect alternate POV that didn't feel like reading the same story again. BRAVO Penelope because I know that was a difficult feat, but you accomplished it girl and I have the utmost respect for you. FANTASTIC Alternate POV novel. I F'LOVED it so much!! Thank you and I will definitely read anything you put out into the reading world. Penelope Douglas ROCKS!! XOXO

Favorite Quotes:

“Girlfriend isn’t enough to describe you, Tate. That term is disposable. You’re not my girlfriend, my girl, or my woman. You’re. Just. Mine,” I bit out every syllable, so she would fucking understand. “And I’m yours,” I added, a little calmer.”

“Now, I could go on about mommy didn’t love me and daddy hit me, but who doesn’t have a story, right?” I asked. “There are times when we can blame a situation on others, but we own our reactions to them. There comes a point where we are the ones responsible for our choices and excuses don’t carry weight anymore.”

“I love you more than myself,” I told her, “more than my own family, for Christ’s sake. I don’t want to take another step in this world without you next to me.” 

“You have every right not to trust me, Tate. I know that. My fucking heart is ripping open right now. I can’t stand the way you’re looking at me. I could never hurt you again. Please…let’s try to fix this together.”

“You were my tempest, my thunder cloud, my tree in the downpour. I loved all of those things, and I loved you. But now…you’re a fucking drought. I thought that all the assholes drove German cars, but it turns out that pricks in Mustangs can still leave scars.” 

“There were two kinds of stupid. Stupid people that got drunk and humped trees, and stupid people that just humped trees.”

“She stared at me, almost amused. “You’ve already made me cry countless times.” And she raised her middle finger to me. “Do you know what this is?” she asked as she took it and patted the corner of her eye with it. “It’s me, wiping away the last tear you’ll ever get.” 

“My heart only beat for her, and I’d rather spend my life hating, loving, fucking, and breathing her than losing her.”
   
~Purchase this Book~

Amazon Link

~CAST~


No comments:

Post a Comment